- 15-Mar-2017 to 06-Apr-2017 (CST)
- Solid Waste -Dept #575
- Edinburg, TX, USA
- Full Time
The City offers excellent Benefits including paid holidays, vacation/sick leave, health, life, and disability insurance, retirement system and optional deferred compensation program.
I. JOB SUMMARY
The purpose of this position is to operate and maintain complex heavy equipment in all phases of designated operations in assigned department. Other duties may include assisting with traffic control for special events or onsite inspections, excavating dirt removal, road resurfacing, minor equipment repairs, and other duties as required.
II. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Requires knowledge of a specific vocational, administrative, or technical nature that may be obtained with six-months/one year of advanced study or training past the high school equivalency. Community college, vocational, business, technical, or correspondence schools are likely sources. Appropriate certification may be awarded upon satisfactory completion of advanced study or training.
Requires three (3) to five (5) years' experience in heavy equipment/vehicle operating, or comparable experience.
III. EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Applicant will be subject to a complete background investigation. Incomplete, inaccurate and/or failure to report information will cause the applicant rejection from consideration.
- Applicant must take and pass a pre-employment drug test administered by the City of Edinburg at the City's expense.
- Must have a current valid class "A" Commercial Driver's License (CDL) from the Texas Department of Public Safety with a satisfactory driving record.
- Additional requirements for Utilities Department.
- TCEQ Class "C" Water Distribution License preferred.
- Obtain TCEQ Class "C" Water Distribution License within three (3) years of employment.
- Obtain TCEQ Class "D" Water Distribution License within first (1) year of employment.
IV. SKILL ABILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Requires a working knowledge of proper operation, safety precautions, and occupational hazards involved in operating heavy equipment.
- Work requires the occasional direction of helpers, assistants, seasonal employees, interns, or temporary employees.
- Work requires regular interaction involving exchange and receipt of information.
- Normally performs the duty assignment after receiving general instructions as to methods, procedures, and desired end results. There is some opportunity for discretion when making selections among a few, easily identifiable choices. Work requires the use of standard technical skills appropriate to the work environment of the organization.
V. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Note: This information is intended to be descriptive of the key responsibilities of the position. The list of essential functions below does not identify all duties performed by any single incumbent in this position.
- Perform skilled work operating one of several types of light to heavy equipment used to excavate, load, transfer or move dirt, gravel, or other materials; operate bulldozers, compactors, front end loader, earth mover, motor grader, and other related equipment; perform maintenance, as required, to designated streets, utility systems, landfills, etc.; read and interpret engineering construction plans.
- Transport light to heavy equipment to designated work site; perform daily equipment checks, complete pre-trip and post-trip checks of equipment, immediately report all equipment defects to the supervisor, verbally and in writing on Departmental Work Order; clean equipment using appropriate materials.
- Operate assigned equipment in a safe, proper and efficient manner following City, Department, Regulatory Agency and manufacturer rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Complete daily report forms for all equipment used, include mileage and service requests; service and make minor repairs to equipment and prepares a daily maintenance report.
General office and safety equipment/materials to include but not limited to the following:
- General work tools
- Gloves, safety vest, safety glasses, ear plugs, hard hat and steel-toed boot
VII. WORK CONDITIONS
Frequent exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards. Majority of work performed outside or with exposure to risk.
VIII. PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The job has some significant hazards and the physical demands are moderate to heavy. Duties involve continuous bending, lifting, digging, carrying or walking, and/or using force equal to lifting 50-100 pounds.