- 08-Feb-2017 to 23-Feb-2017 (CST)
- Solid Waste -Dept #575
- Edinburg, TX, USA
- Full Time
The City offers excellent benefits including paid holidays, vacation/sick leave, health, dental, life, and disability insurance, retirement system and optional deferred compensation programs.
I. JOB SUMMARY
The purpose of this position is to perform skilled work operating one of several types of medium equipment related to the specific functions of associated division or department. Other duties include oversee the maintenance of equipment and tools, maintaining maintenance records, communicating with co-workers and crew members to ensure safety procedures and regulations related to equipment operation are being followed, responding to citizen and customer inquiries and complaints, and other duties as required.
II. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Requires knowledge of a specific vocational, administrative, or technical nature that may be obtained with six-months/one year of advanced study or training past the high school equivalency. Community college, vocational, business, technical, or correspondence schools are likely sources. Appropriate certification may be awarded upon satisfactory completion of advanced study or training
Requires one (1) to three (3) years' experience in operating medium equipment/vehicle operating, or comparable experience.
III. EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Applicant will be subject to a complete background investigation. Incomplete, inaccurate and/or failure to report information will cause the applicant rejection from consideration.
- Applicant must take and pass a pre-employment drug test administered by the City of Edinburg at the City's expense.
- Must have a current valid class "A" or "B" driver's license from the Texas Department of Public Safety with a satisfactory driving record.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
- For Utilities Department: TCEQ Class "C" or higher Water Distribution License preferred.
- For Utilities Department: Obtain TCEQ Class "D" Water Distribution License within first (1) year of employment.
- For Utilities Department: Obtain TCEQ Class "C" Water Distribution License within three (3) years of employment.
IV. SKILL ABILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Requires a working knowledge of proper operation, safety precautions, and occupational hazards involved in operating medium equipment.
- Work requires the occasional direction of helpers, assistants, seasonal employees, interns, or temporary employees.
- Work requires regular interaction involving exchange and receipt of information.
- Normally performs the duty assignment after receiving general instructions as to methods, procedures, and desired end results. There is some opportunity for discretion when making selections among a few, easily identifiable choices.
- Work requires the use of standard technical skills appropriate to the work environment of the organization.
- Able to operate vehicles and equipment safely in area of high pedestrian and vehicular traffic;
V. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Note: This information is intended to be descriptive of the key responsibilities of the position. The list of essential functions below does not identify all duties performed by any single incumbent in this position.
- Complete unskilled and semi-skilled labor work related to various maintenance and construction activities; perform skilled work operating one of several types of light to medium equipment used to excavate, load, transfer or move materials; or transport equipment.
- Perform service inspection and minor maintenance on equipment; complete daily equipment checks, pre-trip and post-trip checks of equipment, immediately report all equipment defects to the supervisor in writing on vehicle work orders; submit daily report forms for all equipment used, include mileage and service requests; complete all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards; wash collection vehicles.
- Operate truck-mounted and/or tractor mounted boom and other equipment specific to associated department.
- Respond appropriately to all emergencies utilizing the emergency procedures listed in the Departmental manual; maintain constant vigilance of surrounding conditions such as citizens, equipment, property, etc. in order to assure that operations are conducted in a safe manner.
- Maintain a variety of records relating to inspections and maintenance activity.
General office and safety equipment/materials to include but not limited to the following:
- 10-key Calculator
- Hand Tools/Power Tools
- Medium Equipment tools and Department related equipment
- Two-Way Radio
- City Vehicle
VII. WORK CONDITIONS
Frequent exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards. Majority of work performed outside or with exposure to risk.
VIII. PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The job has some significant hazards and physical demands are heavy. Duties involve continuous bending, lifting, digging, carrying or walking, and/or using force equal to lifting 50-100 pounds.