- 17-Feb-2017 to 04-Mar-2017 (CST)
- Library -Dept #531
- Edinburg, TX, USA
- Full Time
The City offers excellent benefits including paid holidays, vacation/sick leave, health, dental, life, and disability insurance, retirement system and optional deferred compensation programs.
I. JOB SUMMARY
The purpose of this position is to assist with the direction of the daily operations of the Library, including performing administrative duties; and assisting with library budget and long range planning. Other duties include attending meetings in the Director's place, working reference and circulation desks, participating in professional associations, and other duties as required.
II. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Requires specialized knowledge in a professional or technical field. Requires a Master's Degree of Library Science.
Requires one (1) year, up to and including, three (3) years' Library experience.
III. EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Applicant will be subject to a complete background investigation. Incomplete, inaccurate and/or failure to report information will cause the applicant rejection from consideration.
- Applicant must take and pass a pre-employment drug test administered by the City of Edinburg at the City's expense.
- Must have a current valid class "C" driver's license from the Texas Department of Public Safety with a satisfactory driving record.
- Bilingual English/Spanish Preferred.
IV. SKILL ABILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Must possess knowledge of collection development and reference sources.
- Requires managing and monitoring work performance of a division including evaluating program/work objectives and effectiveness, establishing broad organizational goals and realigning work and staffing assignments for the department.
- Requires advanced skills and knowledge in approaches and systems, which affect the design and implementation of major programs and/or processes organization-wide. Independent judgment and decision-making abilities are necessary to apply technical skills effectively.
- Thorough knowledge of all Library functions.
- Effective communications skills.
- Advanced analytical ability.
- Leadership skills.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills.
V. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Note: This information is intended to be descriptive of the key responsibilities of the position. The list of essential functions below does not identify all duties performed by any single incumbent in this position.
- Assist in supervision of staff, including selection and training of staff; establishing performance standards; evaluating job performance; delegating job duties; and resolving issues.
- Gather and maintain monthly statistics for State Report; and establish goals for long range planning.
- Oversee daily functions of the Circulation, Reference, Children and Cataloging departments; review and approve collection development.
- Determine library needs to seek grant funding; oversee award expenditures for reporting; and collaborate with outside organizations to achieve grants.
- Assess community needs through survey; assist in planning, organizing and executing new programs and services; and assist in recruitment of presenters, speakers and performs for events.
- Market the library events through social media, article publication, and utilization of online calendar of events.
General office and safety equipment/materials to include but not limited to the following:
- Copier/Fax Machine
VII. WORK CONDITIONS
Relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. Office environment.
VIII. PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The job has no significant exposure to hazards and physical demands are low. Duties involve working with light weight materials, and/or using force equal to lifting 20 pounds.