- 17-Feb-2017 to 04-Mar-2017 (CST)
- Library -Dept #531
- Edinburg, TX, USA
- Part Time
No Benefits, except Workers Compensation Insurance
I. JOB SUMMARY
Under the general supervision of the library unit supervisor, the Library Aide performs a variety of computer, clerical, library and café basic duties. The Library Aide also provides general information and assistance to the public. This job requires evening/weekend shift assignment.
II. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Requires knowledge necessary to understand basic operational, technical, or office processes. Level of knowledge equivalent to four years of high school or equivalency.
No experience required.
III. EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Applicant will be subject to a complete background investigation. Incomplete, inaccurate and/or failure to report information will cause the applicant rejection from consideration.
- Applicant must take and pass a pre-employment drug test administered by the City of Edinburg at the City's expense.
- Must have a current valid class "C" driver's license from the Texas Department of Public Safety with a satisfactory driving record.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
IV. SKILL ABILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Requires a working knowledge of all Library procedures and policies.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Work requires the use of standard technical skills appropriate to the work environment of the organization.
- Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment; includes Excel, Word, Publisher, database management, and record keeping.
- Knowledge of Dewey Decimal System.
- Customer Service skills.
V. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Note: This information is intended to be descriptive of the key responsibilities of the position. The list of essential functions below does not identify all duties performed by any single incumbent in this position.
- Organize and shelve/return books, magazines, CDs, and other related library materials to their proper locations; reorganize shelves to make room for new materials; ensure shelved books are in order.
- Assists with patron computer needs and basic trouble shooting when necessary.
- Assists with equipment set up for Library events and outreach programs.
- Maintain and keep café neat and clean on a daily basis; keep café shop supplies current and assist with re-stocking merchandise; price merchandise and put on display, in accordance with prices set; inventory and appropriate inventory levels; assist with food preparation; open and close the library café.
- Assist patrons with library books and equipment check-in and check-out.
- Participate in library events; assist with event set up and break down; publicize events by distributing fliers; maintain count and record attendants.
- Sort and shelf books and library materials according to Dewey Decimal.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
General office and safety equipment/materials to include but not limited to the following:
- Personal computer
- Copier/Fax Machine
- 10-key Calculator
- Cash Register
VII. WORK CONDITIONS
Relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. Office environment.
VIII. PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The job has moderate hazards and physical demands are low to moderate. Duties involve considerable bending, lifting, carrying, or walking and/or using equal to lifting 25-50 pounds.